The Mystery of the Long Bow

A place where users can post their wonderful stories.

Postby Miki Yamuri » Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:31 pm

I am dressed in blue jeans, t-shirt, and tennis shoes. I have a 45lb long bow in my hand and a dozen cedar broad head arrows in my hip quiver. In my mind, I am a fierce hunter. I am a girl of 13 and know I can do this.

My quarry at this time I am not quite sure of because it is night, the woods are pitch black except for where the full moon filters through the trees. The only thing I am sure of is that it is large and flies and has swooped down very aggressively on me many times and has tried to hurt me and my friend Lisa. It has even damaged our dome tent in its unrelenting attacks on us.

There is no fear in me, only a solid resolution to kill this thing that is attacking me and Lisa at our camp. It attacked me first, aggressively, and continues to do so! It has ripped my tent and scared my Playmate Lisa terribly. It has already chased her till she is hysterical. I will not have this anymore.

I am silent as any mountain cat as I slowly approach my quarry. I see the outline of a very large bird in one of the trees silhouetted by the full moon. I take aim, my heart pounding in my ears, an excitement rising in me because I know that thing is mine.

I drew the feather to my cheek, held for a split second, then released. I hear the pleasant sound of my bowstring sing.

As if in slow motion, I see the shadow of the arrow cross the distance to my mark in the breast of this large bird. I heard a popping noise, then a rush of wings as the bird started to fly away with my arrow sticking all the way through it!

"No!" I shouted and ran after it. The bird didn't go far before it fell to the ground.

I came up to the thrashing bird and in the dim light could see that I had shot a very large Owl. The wingspan was longer than I was Tall. It also had very long and extremely sharp talons. It could have hurt Lisa or me very seriously.

I picked up the bird. I was amazed at how huge and heavy it was. I dragged it back to camp to show Lisa what it was that attacked us. Lisa was astonished at the size of the bird.

She said, "Miki, you're getting to be good with that thing." as she touched the bow in my hand.

I was sorry I had shot the bird. I had to because it was intent on hurting us and had severely ripped our tent in its attack.

The longbow had intrigued me ever since I had read Robin Hood by Howard Pyle. I was amazed at the stories history had told of the longbow and how it ruled the world until many years after gunpowder made its claim.

I had just proved the merit of the bow to myself and to my friend Lisa.

We both have been shooting Longbows ever since.

With Love to all - Miki
Miki Yamuri

Re: The Mystery of the Long Bow

Postby TiresiasRex » Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:06 pm

(wiggling with glee in my diapers)

I remember this story! You had posted it elsewhere soooo long ago! Thanks for sharing again! (and beware those big scary owls...or, as they used to say on TWIN PEAKS: "The owls are not what they seem.")
TiresiasRex

Return to The Story Circle